Folks- I finally did it!
After much talk and research I took the plunge- and went and got fitted for some pointe shoes!
On Thursday I featured to Freed of London’s shop at St Martins Lane, near Covent Garden, not really knowing what to expect.
On my 2nd attempt (okay, I walked past first time because shop was full of scary bun heads) I went in. Lass behind the counter (coincidently the one who seems to know exactly what size you need (see previous blog)) asks “How can I help?” then we get into the fitting.
I’ll be honest, having spoken to them on the phone I wasn’t expecting to try one pair let alone the eight or so that I did!
I have to say it felt rather peculiar in various aspects-
- Firstly, these things on my feet that felt like nothing else I have ever worn, the nearest thing I could describe them to is similar to too small steel toe cap boots (which probably doesn’t do pointe shoes any favours!)
- I have never looked down at my feet and seen pink satin shoes before and as a male dancer its very unusual!
- People bang on about it being emotional being fitted for your first pointe shoes- I get it, but I can’t explain it. Its probably in the same stable as the first time you partner someone- a bit of a milestone.
The fitter was incredible- Her understanding of how the shoe would work with my foot and what tweaks she would need to do to get the perfect shoe for me was superb- Things like identifying that I have a strong high instep and suggesting a deep V vamp and knowing which of Her makers shoes would suit my foot.
Throughout the fitting I had been pliéing and putting one or the other foot on the platform, with little or no weight on it. Then she says to me-
“Come into parallel and take my hands…”
“Oh bother” it think (or words to that effect) having guessed what was coming next;
“Just pop one foot up and then the other”
Just she says. Just. Like its no drama.
So I go for it.
Any my brain is thinking: HOLLYCOWIMONPOINTETHISISAWSOMESCARYEXCITING
“Congratulations” She says “You are on pointe”
My well considered and very eloquent reply “This feels very strange!”
We finished off the fitting, talked about padding options, different finishes and finalised exactly what was to be ordered.
I ended up with
- Freed Classic special order
- Mens last
- Wing block, banged out wide (yes, apparently that is a technical term)
- Deep V vamp
- Angled Platform
- Elastic Drawstrings
- Plus some other bits that I have either forgotten or didn’t understand
The only downside- the two to three month wait. But when you consider that Freed produce thousands of shoes and these are made to a very exact specification- I’m not going to complain.
Oh, and don’t worry, come May-June time, you WILL be seeing pictures!